Sunday, May 8, 2011

Some thoughts on Square Foot Gardening

A lot of people have been talking about square foot gardening and wondered if I was missing something that might allow me more plants in my limited space.  I have spent a few days looking at pictures of these gardens and reading about them.


I have come to the conclusion that my Daddy and Grandfather taught me square foot gardening almost 60 years ago but it was just called gardening.  Granted I plant a lot of my fine seed in rows and thin to recommended space between each plant however as far as large seed such as corn, beans etc.  I plant in hills of 5 seed per hill.  It is recommended I think 4 seed per square foot so I have one seed for good measure.  When I look at the spacing on my hills I would be about 1' on center for each hill.  Guess my grandfather knew what he was doing but it just didn't have a fancy name.

2 comments:

  1. I am so happy that you did a post on this. I have been wondering the same thing. The concept does make sense for new gardeners to learn how much can fit into a space. I just never thought that an experienced gardener would need to use this method. I'm sure that there are different thoughts on this subject.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Believe me Robin that are many thoughts on the subject. I am going to do my potato box that way but it about the way I would do it in the garden anyway.

    The square foot garden was designed for the boxes where there are less weeds etc. Well I have small feet so I have my stuff closer together than most to get as much planted as possible.

    Now take peppers for instance. They say to plant one per square foot. I have always had a good pepper crop and was taught that peppers need to be touchy feely so I put those in rows with each plant in the row about 6"-8" apart.

    I guess it is to each his own. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

    ReplyDelete