I have finally almost finished planting the vegetables. It has been a long process thanks to all the rain we have had and really late getting finished. I think we have enough to keep us nicely through the winter if it does well.
There are almost 300 onions in the ground, 40 radish seed, 332 carrot seed, same number on beets and 60 basil, dill is self seeded and all over the place, 12 each broccoli, cauliflower, and cabbage, 6 brussel sprouts, 2 5' rows of horseradish, 4 dozen tomato plants, dozen each of bell peppers, hungarian wax peppers and jalapeno peppers, 1 more dozen bell peppers to be planted yet, 49 hills of corn, 30 hills of cannelini beans, 30 hills of shell beans, still have 30 hills of green beans to plan, 3 hills of zucchini and 4 rows 7' each of cucumbers. It there is room I may plant some egg plan. Also have 7 patio tomatoes all in blossom. Do have a few pepper and tomato plants to replace. They got beat down badly by heavy rain right after I planted them and don't think they are going to make it but still have I think enough plants to replace them.
Boring list but hopefully it will all grow and will have pictures to show.
Yesterday was not a very good day for working outside so decided to do some experimenting with my herbs. It was time to shut the Aero Garden down since one light had burned out and things weren't looking that great so picked all of the basil that was left. About 3 oz. Something happened to my picture of the basil. It isn't in the camera.
Basil oil. It is a much prettier green than the picture shows.
Picked some of the tarragon I plan on tearing out since it has literly taken over my one perennial bed.
This is the quart Tarragon Vinegar that is steeping
Last I picked what chive blossoms I had and made a pint of Chive Blossom Vinegar. Thanks Daphne and Annie's Granny for the idea.
The weather hasn't been too cooperative about getting a garden planted. Hit has been an extremely wet spring with 11" of rain in May when the garden should have been tilled. Finally getting that done finally the rain and cold have continued into June. June 10 was finally able to make an attempt at planting. With all the rain each area as I plant has to be wed before planting. Got 49 hills of corn in and my Brassica in which included 12 each of broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage and 6 Brussel sprouts.
On June 13th the weather decided to cooperate or at least it didn't rain in the morning and the temperature got up to above 60 degrees and was able to get 2 1/2 dozen tomato plants in.
I have to report no Harvest this week. I did pick some parsley from my Aero Garden yesterday to use in my Stroganoff last night but forgot to take a picture of it. The garden still isn't planted with all the rain and cold weather. Only 48 this morning. Nothing will grow in that weather other than maybe ice sickles.
There is hope however that I will someday have tomatoes even if they have to grow in the greenhouse all summer long.
We eat both rye and white bread. To make a loaf of fresh of each the get stale so quickly that I don't really need a loaf of both in the house at the same time unless I freeze some of it which I prefer not to do. Since the premade dough is so easy to work with and you can use what ever amount you want, there was instructions to bake it in a loaf pan for sandwiches. So brain engaged which doesn't happen and made a loaf that is half white and half rye. Cut from which ever end you want.
On May 12th I should the seed potato in place in the box and the hay spread over them. I went out today as they needed more hay since they were growing. All 35 seed (left over potatoes from my garden last year) have sprouted and are growing. Also threw about 7 or 8 in a hole in the pile of old potting soil and they are also up just great. Now to just keep them watered and covered will hay so they can develop spuds it should turn out to be a great experiment
I am so delighted with this new Artisan Bread cookbook I just got. Thanks Villager. Made the first loaf as soon as I got out of bed this morning and it is to die for. The best rye bread I have ever made and almost a exact replica of one I used to buy at a Deli in Rochester NY some 48 years ago. I have been on a quest all these years.
Dough after rising 2 hours and then falling as it is suppose to do
Dough shaped after a night in the refrigerator and ready to raise for 40 minutes before baking. It said to use a grapefruit size ball that should be a pound. They must buy much larger grapefruit than I do as it turned out to be only 11 oz.
Just out of the oven
And the best part eating it. It was excellent but tasted just a little salty but that could be that my kosher salt is not as course as the brand they used so will try cutting it down just a little next time.
Not much in bloom here right now but did find a few things.
Just planted the Figaro Dahlias along the sidewalk yesterday. Will put both orange and white Cape Daisies behind them
My first attempt at Iris. This is a Lavender Lynx a miniature bearded Iris from a friend in Montana. I potted them last spring when I received them and am trying to get a bed ready for them and many other plants I have received from friends.
Don't Touch Me tall bearded iris
Creeping Phlox and Pot of Gold Allysum
Out of control Cranberry Cottoneaster loaded with blossoms and bees but hard to see
Close up of the blossoms that will be berries for the birds this fall