Sunday, October 30, 2011

Cooking with less sugar

Most of my adult life I have been cooking for a juvenile diabetic so am used to exchange diets etc.  I would make special desserts for my son that were geared specifically to his exchange diet.  However now my brother who I care for has been diagnosed being a borderline diabetic but has no set diet just watch the carbs and sugar intake.  I have been working on my regular baking recipes to reduce but not totally eliminate all sugar.  I plan on posting some of my recipes and how I have adapted them and still enjoy them myself.  I had some lemons that were getting old and DB loves lemon are so this is what I made and I even liked it with no sugar.

5 cups water divided
1/2 cup splenda
1 cup of lemon juice

Since the original recipe called for 1 cup of sugar with one cup of water made into a simple syrup, I put the splenda into 1 cup of water but it dissolved immediately I didn't have to heat it.  Added the lemon juice and 4 more cups of water and it was just perfect.  Not too sweet, not to tart.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds great! I think it would be wise for most of us to reduce our sugar intake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We eat very health without trying really as I do not buy hardly any packaged food. I have found recipes to make everything from condensed creamed soup to hamburger helper and rice a roni. I love to cook and since I live on a limited income we have to save anyway we can.

    ReplyDelete