Thursday, August 30, 2012

Thursday's Kitchen Cupboard

This has been the craziest day with blogger.  It would let me post a new post as usual.  Just finally got into dashboard and looks like it could be a go.  Day late but I guess better than nothing.  I started uploading pictures last night and it was so slow I went to bed and left it loading.

Have been a bit busy this week with the harvest starting to come in with a little more produce.  Also with my personal goal of low cost eating with high end results.  This week 16-20 raw shrimp was on sale for $5.99 a pound which is $3 less than the regular price so got 4 pounds.  I repackage then into individual portions by wrapping them in waxed paper so the tails won't  pierce the bag.


 Then vacuum seal them and back into the freezer.  No worry about freezer burn.
 Smoked paprika peppers headed for the dehydrator.  Have ground them yet but they sure smell good.

Ground beef was also on sale this week for $2.49 a pound which is over a $1 off regular price so I spent quite a bit of time making burgers, repackaging in meal size portions and also make 2 batches of meatballs.  All are now nicely vacuum sealed and in the freezer.  Actually bought over 18 pounds.


 Then I did something that wasn't so wise.  I bought a big bag of corn to freeze.  There were 50 ears in the bag.  Haven't done corn in a long time and have decided it wasn't worth the time and cost as I could have bought frozen or canned corn cheaper.



 First had to get out the big guns to blanch the corn.


 Then the set up for cutting it all off the cob.

 All for this 13 pints plus we ate 10 ears fresh.


 5 more quarts of dill pickles

 2 quarts of tomatoes


 3 quarts of crock deli dills.  I did buy the cucumber to make these since my small picklers didn't germinate.

All in all it was a good week.








5 comments:

  1. Sure nice lot of preserving going on at your house! I need to get some ambition and make up some meatballs to freeze! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll say it was a good week! (well all but Blogger being such a pain)

    The corn turned out beautiful. I know how much work that is to process. I need to pick and process for the freezer some of my crop - but my husband will kill me if I don't leave more ears for us to continue eating fresh and there is not that much of it out there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a productive week! Corn is definitely a messy time consuming veggie to preserve. I'm sure you will enjoy it this winter though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mrs. P, love being busy this way.

    Nancy, there always meatballs in my freezer and spaghetti sauce on the shelf. It is a quick go to meal and we love it.

    Laura, Blogger is still doing the same thing and I can't seem to get any help from them at all.

    Robin, Actually with the set up I used, I had very little mess to clean up. The kernels stay right in the bundt pan.

    ReplyDelete