Thursday, November 3, 2011

Thursday's Kitchen Cupboard 11/3

It has been a busy week in the kitchen both putting up and taking out of the cupboard.  Hate when I have to start taking out of the cupboard.


 One nights supper had a lot from the root cellar (my cool workshop 40 degrees) Potatoes and cabbage for hot Italian Cabbage, from the pantry canned tomatoes and from the garden fresh parsley.
 Yep into the freezer meatloaf TV Dinners.  These will be handy when I have dinner meetings.  Since I am a caregiver, I have to fix supper for my DB who lives with me before I leave.  I place plastic wrap over these and put them in the microwave until it puffs up about 40 seconds and when you take them out the plastic wrap will collapse around the food almost like a vacuum wrap.  Let them cool, cover with aluminum foil and freeze.
 Weekend lunch.  Turkey noodle soup made from Turkey stock in the Pantry.
 4 1/2 pounds of carrots from the garden to the root cellar
 3 1/2 quarts of Chicken Stock to the Pantry to make soups and gravies from.
 Clarified Chicken Fat to the freezer check out All but the cluck
 Chicken pot pie with potatoes and carrots from the root cellar
 14 pints of Carrots
 3 1/2 pints of pumpkin
 Zucchini/Carrot muffin  
Made 1 1/2 dozen large muffins for the freezer this week for DB's Breakfast including these, blueberry and Bran.  All reduced sugar recipes.
Zucchini/Carrot Muffins
2/3 cup vegetable oil
2 large eggs
2/3 cup granulated sugar (substitute splenda)
1/2 cup light or dark brown sugar, packed (I make my own brown sugar)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 1/2 cups finely shredded unpeeled zucchini
1/2 cup finely shredded carrot


Preparation:
Grease and flour 12 muffin cups. Heat oven to 375°.

In a mixing bowl, beat the oil with eggs, sugars, and vanilla extract.

Combine the flour, soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon; add to the wet ingredients; stirring until blended. Fold in the shredded zucchini and carrots.

Fill muffin cups about 3/4 full; sprinkle with cinnamon sugar or granulated sugar, if desired. Bake for 20 minutes.

I do alter this also by filling the centers with cream cheese.  Only put part of the batter into the muffin tins then place a heaping tsp. of cream cheese on the batter than finish filling the tins with the batter.

Now if someone could tell me how to get your tally of things put up or harvest quantities  on the side board of your blog I sure would appreciate it.

Don' forget to visit our host of Thursday's Kitchen Cupboard
And see how others are storing and using this week.

7 comments:

  1. My goodness you have been one busy lady! That muffin recipe is great! Another wonderful recipe to copy!

    You just need to add a gadget. I guess a text for a list. I have a pictue gadget with a title and total at the bottom. You could probably add a page with a list. I hope that this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Robin. Those muffins are to die for in my book. I will have to spend some time on this blog thing. I can write websites but seem to stumble when it comes to blogging. Guess I am trying to make it too complicated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow... can I come over for dinner!? :D

    Everything looks beautiful, healthful, and delicous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Kitsap. You are welcome to break bread in my house anytime. I love to cook and to DB it is just something to make him not feel hungry anymore. Once in a great while he might comment that something is good. I do miss cooking for a family. Home cooking helps us live within our means and also maybe a bit healthier. Some might not say healthier when they see me keeping bacon and chicken fat for cooking but at least we are not getting all the preservatives in packaged food and half the time way too many empty calories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wilderness it all looks so good!

    To add the sidebar go to design up at the top right where you sign in. Select layout and then you'll see the sidebar to select a gadget.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, that looks good! I especially love chicken pot pie - homemade is so amazing. Those poor little things from the grocery store are laughable. Smart of you to make tv dinners!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holley, thanks. I have to make my chicken pot pie with biscuits as I can't make pie crust but can make pastry like puff pastry. Many times I only have enough left overs for one meal and there are 2 of us or decide that we have eaten the same leftovers enough times in one week and can't afford to waste food so come the TV dinners. I eat alone one night a week and DB eats alone usually 2 nights a month when I have meetings so I need something good for him and quick.

    ReplyDelete