Tuesday, November 8, 2011

A personal challenge

I have made a personal challenge to live off the land and from savings I can get from the market.  I have spent all spring and summer tending my garden and putting up of what I grow as well as enjoying fresh vegetables all summer.  Now the time has come to tighten the belt on spending and making do with what I have squirreled away and buying with great discretion what I buy for food shopping sales and discount stores.  Having only one market it town there is definitely no discount shopping but there are sales and managers specials of food that is to become outdated.  It is 45 miles to get to numerous markets and discount stores so maybe a trip every 2 months to stock up on what I can't make.  I plan on using this blog to record my success or failure at this challenge and hopefully some will gain from reading it and others will give support with ideas I haven't thought of to save on feeding 2 people.

6 comments:

  1. Good luck to you Wilderness! I look forward to reading of your success.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great challenge! I had thoughts in the back of my mind to possibly doing something like this. Then our vegetable garden this summer was a disaster. I canned some things, but we are going through them fast. I admire your spunk and dedication to doing this challenge. I am going to try to do better next year - reading your blog about your experiences will be very interesting to me. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fantastic (and inspiring)! I look forward to hearing about your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marcia I hope it is a success.

    Holley even without a good vegetable crop there is so much that can be done to save on groceries and eat better for it. It does take a little extra time maybe but I guess when you are retired what is time?

    Bee Girl. I hope it may be inspiring to many to be able to eat better on low incomes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am going to work on it. Good way to pass the long winter when I can't garden I guess and will help me to decide what I want to grow next year also. I have pretty much been doing it all along but never kept track of what I spend and it won't be accurate as I don't have a cost on the garden for this past season.

    ReplyDelete