Thursday, October 20, 2011

Thursday's Kitchen Cupboard 10/20/11

It is that time of the year unfortunately when many more things are coming out of the cupboard than are going in.  Did put up a couple of things this week.  Made clam chowder and vegetable beef soup.  At least the carrots and the potatoes came from the garden originally.
 Buckwheat Pancakes
 Since a recipe for pancakes make many more than enough for one breakfast the rest to into the freezer for future breakfast.  They are wrapped in wax paper and stacked in a bread bag so the stand up in the freezer and take up less space.  Good recycling also.
Spaghetti sauce made and canned earlier with tomatoes, basil and peppers from the garden with a cube of basil from the freezer to give it a fresh flavor when heated up.


Texas Garlic Cheese toast to accompany the spaghetti and meatballs made of fresh homemade French Bread and spread with a garlicky cheese spread.

--Black Angus Garlic Cheese Bread--
1 loaf french bread
1/2 cup butter
1 cup shredded jack cheese
1 cup shredded asiago cheese
1 cup mayonnaise
1 bunch green onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, pureed
Split french bread loaf into halves horizontally. Mix butter, cheeses,
mayonnaise, green onions and garlic in a bowl, blending well. Spread the
cut side of bread with spread. Bake at 350 degrees for 7 minutes, then
place under broiler about 3 minutes longer. Cut into slices and serve.
Vegetable beef soup
Clam Chowder
From the garden to the freezer to the table.  Gilumpkis and Spaetzle
Don't forget to visit our host of Thursday in the Cupboard
and see what others are doing with their harvest. 

6 comments:

  1. Wilderness - you had quite an assortment of things to share for the week. It all looks really good! Don't forget to link on Robin's blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like to freeze the leftover extra pancakes too. Your stacked method in a bread bag is a great way to do that. Everything looks good but the vegetable soup in particular looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marcia that is what I do everyday it seems cook that is why I don't get anything else done. May not do any today but tomorrow need to make bread for the weekend.

    Kitsap I do the pancakes, french toast and muffins in the bread bags. Good way to recycle and also takes up less space in the freezer. In fact I said I have nothing to cook. Should make some muffins. I am the caregiver for my brother who lives with me. I have to give him something for breakfast every morning so try to keep things in the freezer that I can just pop in the microwave. We don't buy prepared or packaged food very often. Did you ever try freezing donuts? That is one thing I haven't tried.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That toasted bread looks amazing. I know Belle will like to try that one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's interesting - can the soup just be preserved in jars? How long does it last? Does it need refrigeration? I have only ever frozen soup so feel very naive. Clam Chowder sounds wonderfully exotic to me here in Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jody, I think you should convince Belle she should try the toasted bread. It is nice and crunchy and is probably be good for teething.

    Liz any and all soups have to be pressure canned. It can be made in small amounts and kept in the refrig for about a week to be eaten immediately. Clam chowder can be made with canned chopped clams and a bottle of clam juice which I do many times. I just happen to have some fresh clams in the freezer that needed to be used plus I did add some canned ones also.

    ReplyDelete