Thursday, May 3, 2012

Thursday's Kitchen Cupboard 05/03/12

Haven't had much to post lately and very little time.  Have been doing well with my personal challenge on the cost of meals but am getting in a rut so not much to share in the way of new recipes and menus.

Was able to dig some horseradish however and get that put up.

Also froze 3/4 of a pound coarse ground to be finished later.

Made a big batch of breakfast sausage.
Meat cut up and seasoned ready to grind.  This is 6 pounds of from a pork butt.  80/20 mix.

First Coarse grind.  This was ground one more time then packaged for the freezer.

Breakfast Pork sausage
6 pounds of cubed pork butt including fat
3 T Kosher Salt
2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
4 T sage

Mix cubed pork with spices and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
Course grind and refrigerate another 2 hours.
Grind one more time and package.

Stop by, The Gardener of Eden , and see how others are stocking their cupboards or what the are using from their cupboards.

10 comments:

  1. I keep contemplating growing horseradish. I love it, but so rarely use it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never grown horseradish. I might have to look into it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Breakfast sausage! Wow! Sounds good from here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's definitely a busy time! I'm going to have to copy your breakfast sausage recipe and see if it is different then "The Italian's". We are out and need to make some.

    I really need to find a spot to plant some horseradish. We just love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I recently received a meat grinder and have been experimenting with sausage recipes. This one looks like it would be a winner with the spice combination. Also, I was adding the spices after grinding and not refrigerating in between…Hmmm, THAT may make a huge difference. Thank you for sharing this :) I can't wait to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How do you process your horseradish? I did some last year but it didn't keep that well - would be interested to know how long yours keeps for.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need to find a friend that grows horseradish. I like it but just a bit goes along way with me so growing it would be too much. I am impressed by your industriousness in making the sausage. I bet it is good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am along the same lines as the other commenters... I love horseradish, but do not use it that frequently. I don't know if I can justify it taking up growing space. Your jars look great, though!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's funny how the rut I'm having today produces better than the good day I was having 5 years ago. From my view, you're doing a great job!

    ReplyDelete